|Obafemi Martins celebrates a goal|
Despite the dramatic events of the last five days, Nigeria’s Super Eagles are going for an outright win in Conakry against Guinea on Sunday.
Nigeria was suspended by FIFA on Monday for government interference in football matters, on Thursday, reports leaked that the game had been postponed but on Friday the game was on again and FIFA had provisionally lifted the suspension on Nigeria.
Nigeria Football Federation, NFF’s media officer, Robinson Okosun told naijafootball247.blogspot.com that the off field events did not in any way affect the team and they still have their minds on an outright win in Conakry.
“When the suspension was announced, we addressed the players to stay focussed on the match and allow us do the politicking so we believe they were not distracted one bit,” Okosun said.
“That is why even after the suspension had made news worldwide players still reported to camp and took their sessions seriously.
“Yes we know a few of them would have been bothered by the news, but we are going for an outright win. If we don’t think we can win the match we won’t be playing so we can tell Nigerians now to expect the Eagles to pick all the points available from the game on Sunday.”
Nigeria have 27 players in camp but only 20 will be chosen for the game.
John Mikel Obi, Dickson Etuhu and Osaze Odemwingie pulled out of the team dues to injuries but head coach, Austin Eguavoen did not think it needful to call up any new players to the squad deciding to trust in the home based players he has at his disposal.