Nigeria Premier League day 2 review


Warri Wolves Jude Aneke continued from where he left off last season scoring in his debut for the club in their 2-1 over Lobi Stars on Sunday in the Nigeria Premier League.

It was Lazarus Chukwu that scored first for the visitors before Uriemu Egbeta drew level for the home side.
Pic: Dolphins players argue with the match officials after the controversial goal
Aneke who joined Warri Wolves from Kaduna United then scored the winner for his side.

Aneke had scored 20 goals to emerge top scorer in the league last season while with Kaduna United.

Media officer of Warri Wolves, Timi Ebikagboro told that the win over Lobi Stars was a big morale booster to the team.

“We are slow starters in the league like everyone knows and Lobi Stars gave us a good fight but for a team to come from a goal down to not only equalise but go on to win is something big,” Ebikaboro said.

“We made errors at the start of last season that affected our chase for the title so we have decided to correct them and we are glad that the fruits are being reaped.

In Aba, Enyimba thrashed Sharks 2-0 with goals from Thankgod Amaefule (13TH) and Josiah Maduabuchi (23rd).

Amaefule was on the books of Sharks until he moved to Enyimba at the start of the current season.

Gombe United beat Niger Tornadoes 3-1 at the Pantami Stadium in Gombe with Mustapha Babadidi getting a hattrick, the first of the season while newcomers Akwa United and Jigawa Golden stars ended 1-0 in favour of Akwa United in Uyo, Ini Akpan getting the lone goal

Rangers International beat Kaduna United 3-0 at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium Enugu.

Rangers’ goals were scored by Akeem Yakubu, Rasaq Adegbite and Ogonna Uzochukwu.

Heartland defeated ABS of Ilorin 2-1 in Owerri with goals from Bello Kofarmata and Julius Ubido.

In Bauchi, Tunde Aremu scored in the 43rd minute as Wikki Tourist beat Kano Pillars 1-0 while Sunshine were held to 1-1 by Ocean Boys at the Dipo Dina Stadium in Ijebu Ode.

Ikechukwu Okemmiri’s late goal for Ocean cancelled out Godfrey Oboabona’s 45th penalty for the home side.

It was ancient antics being perfected by Kwara United on Saturday as they eventually beat Dolphins 1-0 in a League match played at the Ilorin Township Stadium

First, officials refused Dolphins entrance into the stadium until 20 minutes to kick off of the match and the player had little time to warm up.

Then in the 2nd minute, Sunday Rotimi saved on the goal line and one minute later the referee stopped play to declare it a goal, scored by Philip Asuquo.

After that, Dolphins dominated play but failed to equalize or even win.

At half time there was a fight as Dolphins good not enter their dressing room because Kwara State FA officials locked it up.

Dolphins goalkeeper, Sunday Rotimi told that the ball did not cross the line.

“After I caught the ball, I remained on the line for about ten seconds so if there was any argument, the referee would have seen that the ball did not cross, but after he waved play to go on he recalled the ball and said the ball had crossed the line over a minute ago,” Rotimi said.

“It is sad that we lost through a decision like that but the lesson is that we all have to be more careful next time,” Rotimi said.

Picture taken by Idowu Bakare, @rabark


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here