By Chibuogwu Nnadiegbulam
(hello). One of the only two arabic words I can truly say. I already told you
about Shukran (thank you) two days ago. I would have definitely known a lot
more, if I were Jillian, my colleague from the United States of America.
other day at dinner, she told us that one of her dreams when she was three
years old was to learn every language in the world. Now, she doesn’t think she
can achieve that anymore, but she’s working hard at it anyways. I admire her a
lot. And she is an expert at making (and keeping) friends.
with the quarter finals concluded yesterday, today was the first of three
match-free days on the cards. Class was for 10am, after which we had the rest
of the day to ourselves.
decided to skip breakfast today because I had this Pop Me Indomie noodles I
needed to consume. I had bought it on the day I went to purchase a new memory
card with Farah accompanying me, and had already opened it to see if it was the
same as the Indomie I was used to back in Nigeria.
I prepared it as was instructed on the body of the cup, took a good look at it
with a squinted face for about a minute (you must already know by now that I’m
not good at food adventures) before eating the first spoon. The taste was a
little different because of the spices, but it was something I could finish and
so I did.
class today, we had two students from the Jordan media institute join us. It
was reiterated that our trip to Petra was in the “pipeline”. Then,
our video mentor, Andrea talked us through the techniques of video editing;
from the simple; like Farah’s 18-minute stand-up, to the complex; like
Rayanne’s Zaatari camp report in which she used lots of written
were asked about the best editing softwares to quality and prices of cameras
and he answered all. I can easily call him ‘the patient one’ not necessarily
because of his session today, but his sheer tolerance when shooting our many
tries during stand-ups.
told us he would be leaving after the semi-finals on Monday, but asked us to
make sure we record videos even in his absence.
Andrea was done, we had our usual coffee break. Then it was time for Martin’s
first did a brief recap of his previous teaching, before he got into the
business of the day, Metrics.
involved, x-raying the intricacies of sharing an article on any social media
platforms, how we can make our articles attract readers, as well as how to
monitor the traffic to a blog or website.
1pm, we were done with class for the day. Up next was lunch, after which I had
an hour nap before our trip to the Amman Citadel at about 4:30pm.
was 3JD for non-Jordanians to enter the tourists site, and once we did, taking
photos was the order of the day. In fact, we had already started from outside –
while we waited for the third and final set of Young Reporters to arrive (I was
in the first cab.) Our Mentors did not come with us, but we had Farah and Heba
who were our guides.
went to the Temple of Hercules (161-166 AD), entered the Early Bronze Age Cave
tomb, which dates to the 23rd century BC, and also explored the Jordan
Archaeological museum.
was at the Citadel, Farah told us about this awesome idea of taking a photo of
us leaping in the sun. I so love my silhouette in the air.
the Citadel, we went over to the Roman Amphitheatre climbing down many steps –
it was a walkable distance from the Citadel. My thought however, was, hope we
wouldn’t have to go back the same way.
I learnt a new word on our way from the Citadel to the Amphitheatre, Habibi
(for male) or Habibti (for female). Meaning, my love…
Roman Amphitheatre was already closed for the day. Heba said they usually close
at 5:30. So we only took pictures from the outside. They were beautiful
nonetheless. But how I wish we entered.


very eventful day it was indeed, but Christine and I could not go with the rest
to Downtown for dinner. I had to get back to the hotel to write this, and some
days before it, even as I looked forward to our visit to the dead sea tomorrow.

Have your say. We'd love to know what you think.