By Chibuogwu
busy border, insatiable checkpoints, sickening bends and greens on hills.
That’s how I found my tired self in Bamenda, Cameroon.

Sam of and Mr. Moses of Save Women’s Football Foundation arrived in  Ikom at about the time Faith and I were having
dinner last night, so this morning, four of us, led by our hospitable host, Moses
Umoeka  had gone on to change some naira to CFA before embarking on the
shoulder-aching bike ride to the border.

While the “okada men” crossed the barrier at the border with our
luggage, we had to enter the Nigerian immigration office so that our passports
could be stamped. We had a letter from the Nigeria Football Federation which
helped a lot, especially in times of prospective extortions.

As we waited for the officers to go through our documents and take our
passports, a lady in a skimpy gown, who claimed she was from Cameroon walked
was immediately asked to go back to her country and change her dress or strip
completely instead of being in between. Somehow, the lady was back at the gate,
this time claiming to be Nigerian.
I can’t tell how that story ended, because she was there until we left after going
into two other offices for our documents to be crosschecked.

On the Cameroon side of life
this first hurdle. We went on to the Cameroon side of life, starting with the
Frontier health post where Faith and Moses had to pay 10,000 CFA each for
yellow Fever vaccination. After which all of us paid 1000 apiece for screening.

The next room we entered, a lady in uniform demanded 2000 CFA from us all. She
then wrote something in a piece of paper and put it in our international

By the time we got out, the bike men that have been carrying us started to
protest. Insisting they would not take us further until we increase their money
from N1000 to N3000 since they had spent plenty of time already waiting for us.
Mr. Moses spoke to them and they took us to the next destination where they
were eventually given N2000.

We had arrived the Cameroon Immigration Office. There were so many persons
outside the office, but it eventually got to our turn. After the officer
attending to us read the letter from the NFF, he was more concerned about the
letter stating that we were going to “cheer” the team, rather than going
to cover the competition as journalists.
we presented our professional ID cards when he asked for them and he eventually
stamped our passports, telling us we have 90 days to stay.

We got into a vehicle from Ekong, headed for Bamenda. I thought since our
passports had been stamped, that everything was okay and we can go on freely. I
was wrong. We moved from checkpoint to checkpoint, which had ropes as barriers.
And each time, we had to go down and show our passports and letter and answer
questions. If not for the letter from the NFF, we would have had to pay at
every point.

Anyways, in the course of our about three hours trip to Bamenda, we started
discussing football, and one of the Cameroonians in the cab, a lecturer at the
University of Calabar, declared that he had given up on the Lions of Cameroon
since 2006. He said they can’t even trap or pass a ball. Instead of watching
the Lions play, he would tune to a news channel.

The lady seated in the car supported him too. She stated how impressed she was
to watch the Lionesses play a friendly the other day. And concluded that the
men are playing “rubbish”. And we thought it was just Nigerian fans
that can complain.

We finally got to Bamenga. In the course of waiting for the next bus going to
Limbe, we visited one of Mr. Moses’ friends, who is a teacher in a boarding

served us our first Cameroonian delicacy of yellow yam and Huckleberry mixed
with egusi and Pamplemousse drink to go with it.

It was from there we hung out a bit, before embarking on our night journey to
Buea, which is about 45 minutes from Limbe.
can follow Chibuogwu on twitter via
or simply @Chibuogwu_N


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here