Super Falcons Cameroon diary Day 14: attacked by Cameroonian Agberos

By Chibuogwu

the soul of the departed rest in peace. Yes, Nigeria won yesterday, but
thoughts about that fatal plane crash in Medellin, was what flooded my mind.
plane carrying members of the Brazil Serie A side Chapecoense, crashed in
Colombia, killing more than 70 people. And they were scheduled to play in the
Copa Sudamerica finals against Atletico National in Medellin today.
we left Buea. The Super Falcons of Nigeria and Banyana Banyana of South Africa
even left before us because they would have to board a 9am flight from Doula
which is about 2hours from Buea.
CAF provided a bus for us journalists to embark on a six-hour journey. We were
only Nigerian journalists in the bus. It started by picking up Janine, Jessica,
Cecilia and Bidemi from Limbe, before coming to Mutengene to wait for us coming
from Buea (Tobi, Busayo, Nobert, Bamidele, Faith and I).
was a smooth trip. Just that there were too many stops because the driver, in
spite of knowing his bus was branded with regards to the Women’s Africa Cup of
Nations, kept picking up passengers.
passed by a Banana plantation, that had its bunches protected by blue nylon
bags and a well arranged rubber plantation. We discussed a lot about the Super
Falcons performance at the Women’s AFCON, analysing players as well. Tobi
jokingly asked when we would get to Ore so we could by food.
we progressed, Jessica shared her testimony of how she had complained of the
price of shortbread on Twitter, and a good Samaritan bought two for her.
in the bus got at least one piece to keep their mouth busy. Not like it has not
been busy with plenty talk.
we drove into Yaounde, we got a bad first impression. One of us was hit on the
head through the window, by an “agbero”, who assumed she was the
referee that officiated the Cameroon vs Ghana semi-final. A second one came to
hit the glass – by then we had to close the windows to avoid any further harassment
– while another one was shouting from a small distance.
from the South West, where they are English speaking, a lot had been said about
the Francophone region and that incident was like a confirmation.
one of the tournament officials who was with us in the bus, was claiming that
the “agbero” was joking. He was the one who explained that they
thought she was the referee.
moved on from that, anyway, and finally arrived at the Sports Complex with our
luggage. It shares the same wall with the CAN village, which had more
restaurants than anything else. When Tobi went there to ask for the cost of
food, they told him 2000 CFA. It was actually disappointing that one could not
find a place to buy recharge card.
hardly sell recharge cards here, though. They do more of transfers because it
is way faster and you don’t have to come out in the middle of the night in
search of airtime.
batches we all left the Sports Complex for our various hotels.
the way, we were always updated with the movement of the Super Falcons. After
leaving their hotel early enough so as not to miss their 9am flight, they ended
up staying at the airport for about six hours before the first batch travelled.
five officials that could not go with the first batch then boarded another
plane soon after, but that one developed a fault, and they finally travelled by

at the hotel, thank God for Jessica’s connections, we had fufu and bitter leaf
soup with plenty “orishirishi” for dinner. A hot bath followed, and good
nights sleep.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.