By Temple Ekpor
Wilbros, Urim and MFM FC are all through to the next stage of the Rivers State FA Cup after winning their respective 1st round matches.
In the opening game of the Cup, MFM FC thrashed Ajagun Academy 4-2 to make it through.
Oliniyi Owolabi Odumor, coach of Ajagun Academy who looked very worried after his team was defeated told that they will now look forward to the State Super League.
“I am very disappointed. We lost 2-1 to Bayelsa United and I think it was fatigue. We travelled and just came back so maybe that affected them.  
I have seen all the lapses. We are not really looking for challenge cup issue as we want to top the super league and go for the playoffs. That’s my target. Also, we lost some key players to Europe,He said.
Meanwhile, Abubakar Ibrahim,  coach of the MFM side said he was very delighted and thanked God that they won. He also praised the resilience of his players who utilized their chances.
“I thank God. To God be the glory. We made use of our chances and we scored the goals. I thank God for it,” Ibrahim told
The captain of the MFM side, Laifa Patrick Otwakpe, who also scored in the encounter, said the game was not their best, but that more should be expected from the MFM FC side.
He also said they are going back home to get better preparation, to train more and to be physically fit for their next match.
“It was good enough. It was God all the way. This wasn’t our best but we are going back to the drawing board to prepare for the next game,” Otwakpe said.
The second game of the day saw Urim FC of Elekahia bomb the Net bombers of Rivers State University 3-2 in what many termed the most thrilling match of the Cup so far.
Urim FC claimed their first ever win at the FA Cup. They came from a goal down to beat their opponents, Net Bombers.
The man of the Match Rasheed Salami who scored a brace to help his team qualify to the next round of the cup was very motivated and happy that his team won.
Coach of the side, Lucky Batubo said they were prepared and it was not a surprise to him that they won.
Preparation meets opportunity, I think we were prepared and our opponents gave us the opportunity to take the goal,” He told after the game.
On the losing side was Celestine John who was not too happy with refereeing decisions against his side.
He craved for improvement of the tournament here in Rivers State.
Meanwhile, Wilbros FC in the last match of the day looked amazing as they fought to qualify with a 2-1 scoreline against their opponent.
Seventeen clubs registered for this year’s FA Cup with the sum of N100,000.00 (One hundred thousand naira) only.
Day 2 of the matches continue on Tuesday.

Have your say. We'd love to know what you think.