Fabrizo Serid

Three matches of week two in the Port Harcourt City League took centre stage on Tuesday at the Port Harcourt City League.

High-flying Port Harcourt Football Academy, PHPA continued their impressive run with a narrow win over Friends Club. It ended 1-0.

PHFA were offensively superior with early sights at goal in the opening quarter.   In the 4th minute, Yomade Emmanuel controlled the ball at the edge of the box and turned his marker before hitting a weak shot that was easily saved by Jacob Abobo.

Yomade yet again, combined with Saheed Jimoh before he laid a pass for his teammate but the danger was cleared by Paul Junior.

The opener for PHFA came in the 27th minute. Yomade picked out Moses Samuel from a corner kick. Moses was at his best to latch into the top corner for the goal.

Eight minutes after they conceded, Kelechi Kelechi delivered a cross into the box that met Ola Ola who rose and headed straight at Saheed Jimoh who easily gathered for PHFA.

Friends trailed at the break as Fabrizo Serid, coach of PHPA effected two changes. Archibong Israel and Johnmark Shirsha came in for Anthony Fredrick and Lashim Baido.

The new entrant, Archibong made an impact when he sent a dipping cross to Marvelous Koko to shoot into the heavens. At the hour mark, Udeme Sunday of Friends who struggled in the game had his first attempt that was saved by Jimoh.

A late surge by Friends for an equalizer was resiliently defended by PHFA to see off the game for their second win in the league.

The goalkeeper of PHFA, Jimoh won the Shoesky man of the match award for his brilliance in between the sticks.

An excited Coach Fabrizo of PHFA was happy with the victory.

“We talked with the guys because we missed a whole lot of chances and marked badly. We are happy for the win and a clean sheet.”

Coach Faith Owiriwa of Friends was disappointed with the result.

“I’m a little disappointed with the result but as for the performance, we created a whole lot of chances but it didn’t work for us today.”

Fidwax United win too

Fidwax United earned their first victory after a comeback against Glodek FC in the noon kick-off.

A low-driven shot by Jeremiah Uko in the 25th minute gave Emmanuel Amaechi’s Glodek the lead after the midfielder was left in space to beat Olayinka Imam in goal.

Two missed chances before the break by Believe James could have solidified Glodek’s lead. The attacker collected a defense-splitting pass by Shadrack Uzuocha to shoot but the ball was parried out by Imam.

Fidwax upped their game to restore parity eight minutes into the second half. A great positioning in the box by the youngster Emmanuel Nwaneri, saw him get onto the end of Taye Taiwo’s cross to restore parity. Desmond Agwulonu thought he had given Fidwax the second when he missed a sitter off a header in the 70th minute.

With the game winding down, Fidwax staged an incredible comeback. Nwaneri capitalized on a loose ball to smash emphatically for his brace to give his side the lead. It was followed by the substitute K.C Peters, who nodded into an empty net with three minutes left on the clock to complete the comeback and secure the maximum points for Fidwax.

Coach Promise Augustine of Fidwax heaped praises on his players for the win.

“It was a collective effort by my players. The changes at the break helped us a lot. I asked them to step up the game which they did and got the victory.”

His counterpart, Amaechi bemoaned the chances missed by his players.

“It’s unbelievable because I didn’t expect this result. We had chances to score but we couldn’t do that. I still believe in the subsequent match we will come up with something.”

Nwaneri of Fidwax won the Shoesky Man of the Match award for his brilliant performance.

The last game of the day was a one-sided affair as Coach Toku Mike’s Salvation Boys ran out victoriously over Legend FC.

A jittery Legend defense paved the way for an early lead for Salvation. Goodnews Linus put the ball past his own goalkeeper in the 5th minute. However, they came back on level terms via the spot. Victor Roberts slotted past Wisdom Emmanuel. Ebi Mark handled in his box for a penalty to be awarded to Legend.

Tijani Lawal registered his name on the goal-scorers sheet for his second in the league after a header beat the Legend goalkeeper and restore the lead for Salvation.

Five minutes before the break, Promise Echemazu was unsatisfied with the performance of Nsikak Dominic to substitute him for Vincent Munachi.

Salvation dictated the tempo of the game as the duo of Skipper Bobby Uwem and Owakina Enofe had fine displays upfront.

In the 67th minute, Amie Elisha extended the lead with a well-struck free-kick that went past the goalkeeper, Joseph Losain who was later given the marching orders for obstructing a goal-bound move.

Amie added the fourth and his brace with a curler from yet another free-kick at the death to cap off an awesome victory for the Salvation lads.

Coach of Legends FC, Echemazu said he had no reason to lose the game.

“I have no reason to lose the match but I lost because it’s their first time playing in this kind of league and atmosphere. I believe I will go far in the league.”

Amie Elisha of Salvation Boys won the Shoesky Man of the match award.

Have your say. We'd love to know what you think.